The Emmanuel Commitment
I commit to:
- Embrace God’s invitation to live our community life centred on the Eucharist, obedient to God’s Word, faithful to Catholic teaching and committed to daily prayer. [Acts 2:42]
- Embrace the dynamic action of the Holy Spirit in my life and exercise the charisms for the renewal and building up of the Body of Christ. [1 Cor 12:7]
- Embrace my call to live and grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ with my Emmanuel brothers and sisters. [Luke 9:23-25]
- Live a life of holiness: pursuing compassion, humility, patience, forgiveness, gratitude, encouragement and love so that Christ will be the centre of our community and family life. [Col 3:13 ff]
- Live in communion with my brothers and sisters, supporting each other and respecting the authority of the Elders to make decisions in community matters. [1 John 3:17, Hebrews 13:17]
- Live the Emmanuel ‘Way of Life’ and financially support our life and mission. [2 Cor 8:2 ff]
- Proclaim Emmanuel, God with us, in our world through a life of personal witness to the Gospel inspired by the Holy Spirit. [2 Tim 4:1-2,5]
- Proclaim the Gospel by participating in Emmanuel’s mission to reveal Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit. [Mark 1:38; 1 Cor 9:16]
- Proclaim the Gospel by agreeing to be of service to the Church and to the world, wherever we may be called. [Mark 16:15]
Preface to the Emmanuel Commitment
The Emmanuel Community is a mission community in the Archdiocese of Brisbane called to grow contagious followers of Jesus and pave ways for the Church of the future. Our mission stems from our identity as a charismatic, covenant community in the Catholic Church, drawn together in response to the call of God to live out our baptismal covenant in a uniquely Emmanuel way.
Unlike other ecclesial realities based around geography or location (e.g. a parish), Emmanuel is one of the many “new communities” around the world whose membership is based around a unique charism and calling, and are recognized by the Church as ‘covenant communities’.
In February 1975, the Emmanuel Community (originally ‘Brisbane Covenant Community’) was founded. This experience of community sprang out of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and continues to emphasize the experience of a ‘Personal Pentecost’ (Baptism in the Holy Spirit) as the foundational grace for our life and mission.
In our early history, the commitment was described as a ‘covenant’ or doorway that led us into a deeper communion with one another and with God. Indeed, to be a committed member of Emmanuel is to live a radical life founded in our Baptism. It is to live a life nurtured by the Holy Spirit to die to self and live for Christ within this community.
Our commitment is a grace we step into in response to a call of God. It is not meant to be a contract or exchange of services, rather a deep commitment that knits our hearts closer together with God and one another. We understand it as an expression of our new covenant in Christ, calling us together to live out our baptism as fully committed disciples, for the mission of renewal that Jesus prayed for on the earth: “I have come to cast fire upon the earth, and how I wish it were already blazing.” (Luke 12:49).
We pray that each one of us might be generous in our response, because God is worth the gift of our whole lives.
11 November 2017